How to Sell a Car at a Dealership
If you own a car and you’d like to part with it, do you know how to sell a car at a dealership? It’s a great way to save time and money. Many dealerships offer a buyback program or will trade your old car when you come in to purchase a new vehicle. Old Saybrook Hyundai is here to answer the question of how does selling your car to a dealership work?
Benefits of Selling Your Car
When you know how to sell your car at a dealership, you’ll save time and avoid the hassles that come with selling your car privately. There’s no need to place online ads and deal with potentials buyers on your own. You’ll also save money in several ways: you’ll lower the price of your new car when you trade in an old car. You’ll only pay sales tax on the difference between the trade-in value and the cost of your new car.
How Does Selling Your Car to a Dealership Work?
It’s easy to sell your car to a dealership. Essentially, you bring your car in from Waterford or Madison and negotiate from there. Here are some ways to make the process work in your favor:
- Research Your Car’s Value: Research tools like Cars.com, Kelley Blue Book, or your local dealership can help you learn the trade-in value of your car. This bit of knowledge will give you negotiating power at the dealership.
- Pick Your Dealership Wisely: If you have a newer, gently used vehicle, most Branford dealerships will buy it regardless of their inventory or the car’s initial condition. However, if you have an older model car then you may find it’s easier to sell it at a used car dealership instead.
- Clean the Car: Consider having your car professionally detailed, or at least wash it, vacuum the interior, and replace small parts like worn windshield wipers and stained floormats. This will net you a higher payout.
- Write Down the Benefits Of Your Car: Better yet, bring in detailed maintenance records, and list extra features you’ve added like extra key fobs, mounting racks, or other accessories that have increased its value.
- Have Your Car’s Title on Hand: Save time by having your title ready to transfer to the dealership.
What to Expect
Now that you know how selling your car to a dealership works, here’s what you can expect when you bring your newly-prepped vehicle to Old Saybrook Hyundai:
- Make an Appointment: You can drop in to sell your vehicle, but the process will be more efficient if you make an appointment. From there the used car manager or a salesperson will get your information and run a vehicle history report on your car.
- Inspection: The used car manager or service department will inspect your vehicle to get a more specific idea of its value than the vehicle report can provide.
- Consider the Offer: Based on what the dealership offers you, you can accept the offer or go to another dealership to see if you can get a better offer.
Sell Your Car to Old Saybrook Hyundai!
How does selling your car at a dealership work? It’s easy! Contact Old Saybrook Hyundai and set up an appointment when you and your car are ready.